Any type of surgery is intense and serious, especially when it is performed on the bones. After a surgical procedure carried out by an orthopedic specialist, it is important to give time and care to the recovery period. This is different depending on the type of surgery that has happened, but all care regimes need to be followed carefully.
There are many different recovery strategies that an orthopedic specialist will put in place for their patients. Here are some of the options that might be recommended.
- Up to three days or more in a facilitated care space, either a hospital or another facility
- Rehabilitation and assistance with slow movements of the affected area
- Support and help with dressing, toileting, and showering for the first few days
- A medical care plan outlining when to take pain medication
- A provided timeline of the expected recovery for certain surgeries
- Assistance in setting pain goals and movement goals to help keep focus with recovery
- Ongoing support and assistance once back in the home
Another alternative is a skilled nursing facility for recovery. The Orthopedic & Sports Institute has its own attached skilled nursing facility, Recovery Inn. Connected to the OSI Surgery Center, Recovery Inn is dedicated to orthopedic and spine patients who undergo their procedures at OSI as well as being available to hospital patients requiring additional rehabilitation following their inpatient stay.
Here are some details of Recovery Inn:
- Rooms that are inspired by hotels to provide ultimate comfort
- Patient-operated lighting and climate control to feel at ease
- A central courtyard to enjoy the fresh air, mingle with other patients, or spend time with family and friends when they visit
- Physical therapy onsite to support movement and development rehabilitation
- The Corner Cafe for made-to-order-meals
With the help of care providers, either at a facility such as Recovery Inn or through regularly scheduled rehabilitation and physiotherapy check ups, the road to full movement once again won’t be too far away. If any issues occur along the way, always be sure to check in with a trusted professional so as not to hinder any progress.
For post-surgical recovery and rehabilitation, Recovery Inn is the premier facility in the Fox Valley. This skilled nursing facility was the first orthopedics-only recovery facility in the nation attached to a surgery center. At OSI, you can have your surgery and recover without leaving the building. Physical and occupational therapy take place steps from your room, where you will be rehabbing with the nationally recognized therapists from Advanced Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine.
For more information or to schedule a tour, please contact Recovery Inn Executive Director Shaena Van Handel at (920) 560-1066.
OSI is a proud member of NOVO Health.