Having pain strike any part of the body is inconvenient. We often think we don’t have the time or resources to go see a doctor when such a thing happens. However, it is highly important to tend to anything painful before it becomes more of an issue. This is especially true when problems in the knees occur.
Knee pain is quite a common occurrence and it is best to see a doctor in the Fox Valley area if it is affecting everyday life. A lot of strain and pressure is put on the knees each day which can make the joints, muscles, ligaments, and tendons experience issues. These issues can arise because of problems with the actual patella itself or everything that surrounds it.
Keep in mind that painfulness to the knees can vary drastically in severity. Each case is different and it is hard to have a benchmark measure of what defines this type of pain. The best way to judge is how it affects the individual, their everyday life, and how much it prohibits them from carrying on with their day.
There are many reasons why pain might be affecting the knees. Because of this, it is important for a patient to be able to describe in detail what type of painfulness is affecting their individual case. These are just some of the reasons when going to a doctor about painful knee problems is a good idea.
- There is swelling around the painful area
- The painful area is also red in color
- The joint feels tender and warm to touch
- There is also a fever
- The pain is significant, consistent, and ongoing
- There is a noise, such as a popping or cracking sound, when the knee moves
These types of painful irritations can occur for a variety of reasons around the knees. Some common causes include:
- An ACL tear, such as an anterior cruciate ligament
- A break or fracture to the leg
- Dislocation of the patella
- Osteoarthritis which causes the bones to break down
- Osgood Schlatter disease that can affect both knees
- Patella tendinitis
- A sprain or strain from sport
- Genetic issues and birth defects
- A torn meniscus
Moreover, there are some home remedies that can be tended to before going to see a professional. Some things to do at home to deal with such a painful nature include:
- Rest and stretch
- Elevate the painful area
- Put a cold compress on the affected area
- Take an approved anti-inflammatory, given there are no issues with allergies (be sure to see a professional if there are any bad reactions to the tablets)
- Avoid walking up and down stairs too often and too quickly
Fox Valley residents should contact a doctor when experiencing knee pain. Often symptoms can be diagnosed quickly and treatment options can be provided to help the individual manage the pain.
OSI has convenient locations to serve you. The campus in Appleton includes clinics, a surgery center, MRI, physical therapy, and a skilled nursing facility, as well as a walk-in clinic that provides care for new orthopedic injuries.
OSI has outreach clinics in New London, Ripon, Shawano, Waupaca, and the newest location serving the Green Bay area, inside the NOVO Health Clinic in De Pere.
OSI is a proud member of NOVO Health.